Sunday, September 13, 2009

Matthew Africa drops another amazing mixtape

Okay, usually this blog is for band-related dumbassery, but I'll use our occasionally-read internet outlet to vouch for one of our favorite Bay DJs, cratediggers and mixtape badass: Matthew Africa. Yes, it's his real name.

Matthew made one of my all-time favorite mixtapes, the 69-song stunner "Dirty R&B: The Best of R. Kelly," which is an endlessly listenable, perfectly sequenced double-disc mixtape highlighting the best of Kells, either on guest verse, paired with Jay-Z or by his brilliant self. I've listened to that mixtape more times than I can count, and when he followed up with the Southern-fried fight rap mixtape "Hard As Fuck," I was knocked out by the 1-2 punch of these mixes.

So it's no surprise to me that Matthew took one of my favorite current rap genres, jerkin, and delivered a killer podcast of jerkin tracks that probably deserves its own CD release. If you're not aware of jerkin, this is a pretty good place to start, although you can read up on it on Wikipedia, although it reads a little dry for my taste. Basically, jerkin sounds like "Vans" by the Pack, as it's minimal hip hop made mostly by teenagers, but the lyrics are usually about eating pussy. No lie.

You can listen to it here, and it's absolutely worth your time to check it out.

No comments: